You can strengthen your bones with Osteopenia treatments
You can reverse your bone loss with osteopenia treatments. Yes, you can. Others have used these treatments for osteopenia and you can too.
This page offers a list of major Osteoporosis and Osteopenia treatments. But first you need to understand. . .
Introduction. Building bones takes time. Your bone builds slowly and the older you are, the slower it goes. But you will build new bone if you work at it and if you are consistent and stay with your program.
Research shows that you can expect your bone building
program to take 14 - 24 months before you see results with any treatments for Osteopenia. (That is why Medicare and some health insurance plans only pay for dexa scans every two years - unless you are starting a new drug treatment. If you are starting a new pharmaceutical treatment, they may pay for a new dexa scan after only one year....just to make sure it is working. Check with your health care provider about when you should schedule your next dexa scan.]
The good news is that there has been so much research about Osteopenia treatments in recent years that you have many options. And combining two or three different things is often more effective than doing just one thing.
Some pharmaceutical Osteopenia treatments focus on slowing your Osteoclast cells from removing old bone. Others treatments focus on stimulating your Osteoblasts to build new bone.
I hope that you will read through ALL the various treatments - even if you are using one or two of these now. There are 3 reasons for this:
- The more you know about the options open to you, the more satisfied you will be with your own Osteopenia treatment plan.
- If you know about all the possibile treatments for Osteopenia you will be able to raise good questions when you meet with your health care provider.
- If you have read research based information about Osteopenia treatments, you will be less likely to be 'hoodwinked' by some of the mail order ads or fad web pages.
SPECIAL NOTE: If you have been following a plan of osteoporosis or Osteopenia treatments but you are not seeing better dexa scan results, you need to talk with your health care provider to see if you should make a change in some of what you have been doing.
Remember you have many options of treatments for Osteopenia. Most people find that combining several different options works best. So let's get started.
There are six major Osteoporosis & Osteopenia treatments:
- Diet and Nutritional strategies: what you eat each day
- Exercises and physical activities
- Alternative medical approaches - herbs, Indian herbs, Traditional Chinese medicine, Tai Chi etc.
- Prescription medication
- Prescription food
1. Diet/Nutrition - the food you eat each day. Osteoporosis and Osteopenia are almost unknown in some parts of the world. Some researches now believe that the widespread occurrence of Osteopenia in the developed world is related to both our modern diet and our sedentary life style.
Here are some articles that may be useful:
2. Exercise. Research studies show that those who include exercise as part of their 'good bone' program have better outcomes than those who do not exercise on a regular basis. There are several studies that show exercise can increase bone
mass even among the very old. But not every form of exercise is good for those with bone loss. In fact, some forms of exercise can cause 'spontaneous fractures' and should be avoided by anyone with significant bone loss.
Even if you have arthritis or some other painful condition, you can incorporate exercises into your daily routine. In your exercises program, you need to work at preventing falls while your bones are still thin so you need to do a few minutes of
Balance and Co-ordination exercises
As for exercises to increase bone density, there are so many choices that even if you have arthritis or some other painful condition, you will be able to include some exercises in your daily routine. Here are some bone building exercises
Tai chi has been found to have positive effect on your bones. It is also stress reducing and helps with balance. And it can be done at home! Click here for information about Tai Chi
3. Alternative medicine: Natural Osteoporosis & Osteopenia treatments Alternative medical treatments have grown in popularity since the mid-1980's. Many people now prefer to use as many natural, alternative treatments for common medical conditions as they can..
There are links to specific articles and remedies on the
Natural Treatments - including TCM - page.
And since Bioidentical hormone replacement borders on the Natural and Pharmaceutical, I offer a specail link to its page.
b>4. Prescription medication to increase your bone density. You will find information and frequently asked questions about all the major prescription medications: Actonel, Boniva, Calcitonin, Evista, Fosamax, Forteo, HRT, Protelos Thiazide They are all reviewed at:
Osteoporosis & Osteopenia medications
5. Prescription Food Yes, there is now an FDA approved prescription food. To read about it, go to Fosteum
6. Supplements There is so much research about supplements. This is an area of the web site that will be expanding in the next few months.
NOTE: Additional articles are added to this section regularly. but if you want to know exactly what is new on the web site, do subscribe to the RSS feed listed on the Navigation bar or check the Osteopenia Index page.
HOME | Terms and
Conditions of Use | About Us
| Osteopenia Glossary