VIACTIV Flavorglides - will they build bone?
VIACTIV Flavorglides - will they build bone if you are concerned about Osteopenia or Osteoporosis?
This web site is dedicated to providing scientific information about reversing bone loss. Let me be right up front and tell you that there are no studies of this calcium supplement in peer reviewed scientific journals.
(Peer reviewed journals are research journals that only
publish articles that have been reviewed by established scientists,
These journals are the 'gold standard' for
scientific research. Most independent scholars believe that a
manufacturer can not influence a 'peer reviewed journal. 'Getting
published in one of these journals gives credibility for any claims that
no other research has.
Since there are not peer reviewed articles about VIACTIV Flavorglides we need to look at what the manufacturer says.
Manufacturer list of ingredients
Microcrystalline Cellulose, Croscarmellose Sodium, Maltodextrin, Acacia,
Titanium Dioxide, Dextrose, Hypromellose, Sodium
Carboxymethylcellulose, Glucose, Polyethylene Glycol, Magnesium
Stearate, Cornstarch, Artificial Flavor, Dextrin, Sodium Citrate,
Mineral Oil, Soy Lecithin, Sucralose, Polysorbate 80, Phytonadione,
Tricalcium Phosphate, Cholecalciferol.
As we unpack this list of
ingredients, we need to remember that ingredients are always listed in
the order of 'amount contained' in the product. As a result we know that
there is more Calcium Caronbate in VIACTIV Flavorglides than any
- Calcium Carbonate - one of the forms of Calcium. It is know as being cheap and usually quite absorb able.
cellulose is an inactive substance that is usually used as a binding
agent. It is also a disintegrant and so helps make other ingredients
- Croscarmellose Sodium is a sodium salt used to stabilize other ingredients and make them bioavailable....but it is sodium so if you are on sodium restricted diet, you might want to use some other calcium supplement.
is a sweetener derived from cornstarch, but might also contain rice or
potato starch, or wheat. If you need gluten free....this could pose a problem.
is a genus of shrubs and trees belonging to the subfamily Mimosoideae.
There are many different types of Acacia. In traditional Ayurvedic
medicine medicine it is used to treat premature ejaculation. Why it is
in a supplement for bone building I do not know.
- Titanium Dioxide is a chemical used as a coloring agent in everything from paint to sunscreen.
- Dextrose is a sugar. If you are diabetic, do check with your physician about using VIACTIV Flavorglides
- Hypromellose - is a chemical that is used as a binding or 'carrying' agent.
- Sodium Carboxymethylcellulose is a gummy substance that is a sodium salt often used as a thickening agent.
- Glucose - is a sugar- Again this could be an issue if you have diabetes.
glycol is used in a variety of products. It
is the basis of a number of laxatives (e.g. macrogol-containing products
such as Movicol and polyethylene glycol 3350, or MiraLax or GlycoLax).
It is the basis of many skin creams, as cetomacrogol, and as a sexual
lubricants, frequently combined with glycerin. Whole bowel irrigation
(polyethylene glycol with added electrolytes) is used for bowel
preparation before surgery or colonoscopy and drug overdoses." from
- Magnesium Stearate is a salt.
Artificial Flavor - no explanation since Cornstarch is self explanatory
and they do not state what artificial flavor is used.
- Dextrin - is a carbohydrate from starch.
- Sodium Citrate is a salt from citric acid.
- Mineral Oil is a form of liquid petroleum
- Soy Lecithin is a natural emulsifier which keeps colesterol in the blood in suspension
- Sucralose, is an artificial sweetener
- Polysorbate 80 - is an emulsifier
- Phytonadione is Vitamin K
Phosphate is a type of calcium - sometimes called calcium
orthophosphate, tertiary calcium phosphate or tribasic calcium
- Cholecalciferol is Vitamin D3, the form used for bone building.
there are the ingredients. As you review them remember that
are listed to show 'not only what is in an item but also how much' is
in item. First ingredient listed has the most; last ingredient is the
least. Also, if you have other
medical conditions that require you to avoid certain foods or substances
you want to be sure that these are not in your VIACTIV Flavorglides.
There are forms of calcium which have been proven to build bone in persons with Osteopenia and Osteoporosis
Advacal is one of these tested forms. Click to go to Advacal or read about a special form of Advacal for men